Article 20 of regulation regarding implementation of “the Law for Turkish Citizenship” enacted in 2010 specifying requirements for foreigners to acquire Turkish citizenship, was amended by the presidential decree signed by President Erdogan on 19 September 2018. The decree with number 106 was published in the Official gazette and went into effect as of said date.
Based on amended text, the fixed capital amount required to apply for citizenship was reduced from US$ 2 million to US$ 500 thousand.
According to the new regulation foreigners who own real estate in Turkey worth a minimum of US$250,000 (instead of US$1 million) can apply for Turkish citizenship. The expression “providing employment to at least 100 persons” which is among the conditions of eligibility for citizenship, was changed as “50 persons”. The amount of deposit to keep in banks in Turkey to acquire citizenship was also reduced from US$ 3 million to US$ 500 thousand.
On the other hand foreign investors should hold the properties or continue the minimum limit of financial investments for at least three years to meet the criteria for Turkish citizenship.
A foreign person that meets any of the below conditions may acquire Turkish citizenship:
A foreign person who has made a fixed capital investment amounting to at least USD 500,000 and where such investment has been determined by the Ministry of Economy,
A foreign person who has acquired an immovable amounting to at least USD 250,000 on the condition that an annotation has been put to the title deed stipulating that the immovable will not be sold for three years and where such acquisition has been determined by the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization,
A foreign person who employs at least 50 persons and where such employment has been determined by the Ministry of Labor and Social Security,
A foreign person who has deposited at least USD 500,000 to a bank active in Turkey on the condition that such amount is kept in the account for three years and where such deposit has been determined by the Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency,
A foreign person who has acquired Government debt securities amounting to at least USD 3,000,000 on the condition that such amount is kept for three years and where such acquisition is determined by the Under secretariat of Treasury.
The Regulation Amending the Regulation on the Implementation of Turkish Citizenship Law enters into force on the date of its publication (19 September 2018).
Link for code regarding exceptional acquisition of Turkish citizenship
REQUIREMENTS FOR FOREIGNERS WHO BUY PROPERTY IN TURKEY TO APPLY FOR CITIZENSHIP
• Purchasing a property worth min. US$ 250.000
• Payment of concerned amount by Bank transfer
• Keeping the property for minimum 3 years
Documents Required for Application
- Application Form (VAT-4)
- 2 Biometric photographs (50×60 mm), white background, determined by ICAO
- A passport or similar document showing the current state (citizenship) of the person or similar document, if the person is stateless a related statutory document provided it is possible to obtain such document
- Certificate of civil status: If married, marriage certificate, if divorced separation deed. If widow, death certificate for spouse.
- A certificate such as a birth certificate or identity register copy showing the identity of the person and if married identity register copy showing the family tie of the spouse and children.
- If the person does not have the month and date of “birth date” a document obtained from the competent authorities of his/her country for the completion of the date of birth. In case said document cannot be obtained the signed declaration of the applicant that he/she accepts the transaction pursuant to Article 39 of the Population Services Law no.
- A receipt showing that the service fee has been deposited with the Ministry of Finance.
Application Authority and Procedure
Upon the written instruction of the Ministry, a citizenship file consisting of the application documents is prepared by the office of the governor where the foreigner is located or foreign missions (if the person is abroad) about the applicant.
Applications made by mail are not accepted.
Citizenship applications for persons who are immature or deprived of discrimination capability are made by their parents or guardians.
The date of application is taken as the date the application form of the applicant is recorded by the application authority.
The process of validation of official documents issued by foreign authorities shall be carried out in accordance with the Article 167 of the Regulation on the Implementation of the Population Services Law.
It is sufficient that the documents such as diplomas, passports taken from the foreign authorities by the foreigners who wish to acquire Turkish citizenship are translated into Turkish and notarized at the time of application.
If deemed necessary, the approval of the original residence permit can also be made by the provincial directorates.